(1) Vaartjes I, van Dis I, Visseren FL, Bots ML. Hart- en vaatziekten in Nederland. Hart- en vaatziekten in Nederland 2010. Den Haag: Hartstichting; 2010.
(2) St Leger AS, Cochrane AL, Moore F. Factors associated with cardiac mortality in developed countries with particular reference to the consumption of wine. Lancet 1979; 1(8124):1017-1020.
(3) Ronksley PE, Brien SE, Turner BJ, Mukamal KJ, Ghali WA. Association of alcohol consumption with selected cardiovascular disease outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ 2011; 342:d671.
(4) Mukamal KJ, Conigrave KM, Mittleman MA, Camargo CA, Jr., Stampfer MJ, Willett WC et al. Roles of drinking pattern and type of alcohol consumed in coronary heart disease in men. N Engl J Med 2003; 348(2):109-118.
(5) Tolstrup J, Jensen MK, Tjonneland A, Overvad K, Mukamal KJ, Gronbaek M. Prospective study of alcohol drinking patterns and coronary heart disease in women and men. BMJ 2006; 332(7552):1244-1248.
(6) Mukamal KJ, Maclure M, Muller JE, Mittleman MA. Binge drinking and mortality after acute myocardial infarction. Circulation 2005; 112(25):3839-3845.
(7) Ruidavets JB, Ducimetiere P, Evans A, Montaye M, Haas B, Bingham A et al. Patterns of alcohol consumption and ischaemic heart disease in culturally divergent countries: the Prospective Epidemiological Study of Myocardial Infarction (PRIME). BMJ 2010; 341:c6077.
(8) Thun MJ, Peto R, Lopez AD, Monaco JH, Henley SJ, Heath CW, Jr. et al. Alcohol consumption and mortality among middle-aged and elderly U.S. adults. N Engl J Med 1997; 337(24):1705-1714.
(9) Beulens JW, Rimm EB, Ascherio A, Spiegelman D, Hendriks HF, Mukamal KJ. Alcohol consumption and risk for coronary heart disease among men with hypertension. Ann Intern Med 2007; 146(1):10-19.
(10) Beulens JW, Algra A, Soedamah-Muthu SS, Visseren FL, Grobbee DE, van der GY. Alcohol consumption and risk of recurrent cardiovascular events and mortality in patients with clinically manifest vascular disease and diabetes mellitus: the Second Manifestations of ARTerial (SMART) disease study. Atherosclerosis 2010; 212(1):281-286.
(11) Koppes LL, Dekker JM, Hendriks HF, Bouter LM, Heine RJ. Meta-analysis of the relationship between alcohol consumption and coronary heart disease and mortality in type 2 diabetic patients. Diabetologia 2006; 49(4):648-652.
(12) Malinski MK, Sesso HD, Lopez-Jimenez F, Buring JE, Gaziano JM. Alcohol consumption and cardiovascular disease mortality in hypertensive men. Arch Intern Med 2004; 164(6):623-628.
(13) Barefoot JC, Gronbaek M, Feaganes JR, McPherson RS, Williams RB, Siegler IC. Alcoholic beverage preference, diet, and health habits in the UNC Alumni Heart Study. Am J Clin Nutr 2002; 76(2):466-472.
(14) Mukamal KJ, Chiuve SE, Rimm EB. Alcohol consumption and risk for coronary heart disease in men with healthy lifestyles. Arch Intern Med 2006; 166(19):2145-2150.
(15) Brien SE, Ronksley PE, Turner BJ, Mukamal KJ, Ghali WA. Effect of alcohol consumption on biological markers associated with risk of coronary heart disease: systematic review and meta-analysis of interventional studies. BMJ 2011; 342:d636.
(16) Gaziano JM, Buring JE, Breslow JL, Goldhaber SZ, Rosner B, VanDenburgh M et al. Moderate alcohol intake, increased levels of high-density lipoprotein and its subfractions, and decreased risk of myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med 1993; 329(25):1829-1834.
(17) Langer RD, Criqui MH, Reed DM. Lipoproteins and blood pressure as biological pathways for effect of moderate alcohol consumption on coronary heart disease. Circulation 1992; 85(3):910-915.
(18) Mukamal KJ, Jensen MK, Gronbaek M, Stampfer MJ, Manson JE, Pischon T et al. Drinking frequency, mediating biomarkers, and risk of myocardial infarction in women and men. Circulation 2005; 112(10):1406-1413.
(19) Davies MJ, Baer DJ, Judd JT, Brown ED, Campbell WS, Taylor PR. Effects of moderate alcohol intake on fasting insulin and glucose concentrations and insulin sensitivity in postmenopausal women: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2002; 287(19):2559-2562.
(20) Joosten MM, Beulens JW, Kersten S, Hendriks HF. Moderate alcohol consumption increases insulin sensitivity and ADIPOQ expression in postmenopausal women: a randomised, crossover trial. Diabetologia 2008; 51(8):1375-1381.
(21) Sierksma A, Patel H, Ouchi N, Kihara S, Tanaka S, Matsuzawa Y et al. Effect of moderate alcohol consumption on adiponectin, tumer necrosis factor and insulin sensitivity. unpublished. In press 2003.
(22) Beulens JW, van Beers RM, Stolk RP, Schaafsma G, Hendriks HF. The effect of moderate alcohol consumption on fat distribution and adipocytokines. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2006; 14(1):60-66.
(23) Beulens JW, de Zoete EC, Kok FJ, Schaafsma G, Hendriks HF. Effect of moderate alcohol consumption on adipokines and insulin sensitivity in lean and overweight men: a diet intervention study. Eur J Clin Nutr 2007.
(24) Beulens JW, van Loon LJ, Kok FJ, Pelsers M, Bobbert T, Spranger J et al. The effect of moderate alcohol consumption on adiponectin oligomers and muscle oxidative capacity: a human intervention study. Diabetologia 2007; 50(7):1388-1392.
(25) Cordain L, Bryan ED, Melby CL, Smith MJ. Influence of moderate daily wine consumption on body weight regulation and metabolism in healthy free-living males. J Am Coll Nutr 1997; 16(2):134-139.
(26) Cordain L, Melby CL, Hamamoto AE, O'Neill DS, Cornier MA, Barakat HA et al. Influence of moderate chronic wine consumption on insulin sensitivity and other correlates of syndrome X in moderately obese women. Metabolism 2000; 49(11):1473-1478.
(27) Zilkens RR, Burke V, Watts G, Beilin LJ, Puddey IB. The effect of alcohol intake on insulin sensitivity in men: a randomized controlled trial. Diabetes Care 2003; 26(3):608-612.
(28) Fuchs FD, Chambless LE, Whelton PK, Nieto FJ, Heiss G. Alcohol consumption and the incidence of hypertension: The Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study. Hypertension 2001; 37(5):1242-1250.
(29) Thadhani R, Camargo CA, Jr., Stampfer MJ, Curhan GC, Willett WC, Rimm EB. Prospective study of moderate alcohol consumption and risk of hypertension in young women. Arch Intern Med 2002; 162(5):569-574.
(30) Rimm EB. Alcohol consumption and coronary heart disease: good habits may be more important than just good wine. Am J Epidemiol 1996; 143(11):1094-1098.
(31) Rimm EB, Klatsky A, Grobbee D, Stampfer MJ. Review of moderate alcohol consumption and reduced risk of coronary heart disease: is the effect due to beer, wine, or spirits. BMJ 1996; 312(7033):731-736.
(32) van der Gaag MS, van Tol A, Vermunt SH, Scheek LM, Schaafsma G, Hendriks HF. Alcohol consumption stimulates early steps in reverse cholesterol transport. J Lipid Res 2001; 42(12):2077-2083.
(33) Hendriks HF, Veenstra J, Velthuis-te Wierik EJ, Schaafsma G, Kluft C. Effect of moderate dose of alcohol with evening meal on fibrinolytic factors. BMJ 1994; 308(6935):1003-1006.
(34) Imhof A, Plamper I, Maier S, Trischler G, Koenig W. Effect of drinking on adiponectin in healthy men and women: a randomized intervention study of water, ethanol, red wine, and beer with or without alcohol. Diabetes Care 2009; 32(6):1101-1103.
(35) Mayer O, Jr., Simon J, Rosolova H. A population study of the influence of beer consumption on folate and homocysteine concentrations. Eur J Clin Nutr 2001; 55(7):605-609.
(36) Mennen LI, de Courcy GP, Guilland JC, Ducros V, Zarebska M, Bertrais S et al. Relation between homocysteine concentrations and the consumption of different types of alcoholic beverages: the French Supplementation with Antioxidant Vitamins and Minerals Study. Am J Clin Nutr 2003; 78(2):334-338.
(37) van der Gaag MS, Ubbink JB, Sillanaukee P, Nikkari S, Hendriks HF. Effect of consumption of red wine, spirits, and beer on serum homocysteine. Lancet 2000; 355(9214):1522.